UCB success at State Band Championships
23 September 2014
Unley Concert Band (UCB) is the South Australian A Grade Concert Band and the state’s champion marching band following the State Band Championships held in Hahndorf on 21 and 22 September.
Under the baton of Musical Director Stephen Boyle, UCB defended its state champion title competing against the Trinity College concert band. In the hotly contested street march competition, Unley edged out eight other bands to be the state’s top marching band. Capping off a hugely successful weekend, UCB Drum Major Jeff Hale was named champion Drum Major.
“UCB is a very experienced contesting and marching band,” said President Michaela Scherer. “This year’s success at the State Championships reflects the months of hard work and many hours of practice put in by all members led with enthusiasm by our Musical Director Stephen Boyle.
“There is always rivalry at the state’s but the atmosphere is friendly and supportive. I’m very proud to lead Unley and to be part of a band that sets a high standard for community music in South Australia.”
Stephen Boyle said UCB’s representation across the many different competition categories was pleasing.
“From the full stage band to the marching band, small groups and solos, our members showed a great commitment to excellence in community music at the State Championships,” said Stephen.
“The City of Unley should be very proud to be home to such a great bunch of musicians who represent the Unley community with pride and passion.”
A number of UCB members were champions in the solo and small ensemble contests:
- David Eldridge – Open Bass Trombone Champion
- Andrew Edgeworth – Open Trumpet Champion
- Alison Harris – Open French Horn Champion and Brass Champion of Champions
- Nicole Molloy – Open Clarinet Champion
- Jade McEvoy – Open Flute Champion
- Kate Flint – Open Baritone Saxophone Champion
- Dominic Meehan – Open Alto Saxophone Champion
- Andrew Edgeworth and Angelo Valdivia – Open Brass Duet Champions
- UCB Sax Quintet 1 – Open Woodwind Quintet Champion
- UCB Sax Quartet 2 – Open Concert Ensemble Champion